The following steps will only need to be performed one-time per computer
Install VPN Client
- Download the Softether VPN Client through this download link
- After the download completes, follow the installation instructions, Clicking the Next button until installation completes.
Configure VPN Client
- Open the VPN Application by clicking the SoftEther VPN Client icon on your Desktop or Start Menu
- Click Add VPN connection
- When asked to create a Virtual Network Adapter, click Yes. When prompted for a name, type VPN. Note: it will take a few moments to create the Tunnel Adapter.
Configure VPN Connection - Manually
- Click Add VPN connection again
- The “New VPN Connection Setting Properties” screen will pop up after the above steps are performed.
- Enter the following information:
- Setting Name: Office VPN
- Under “Destination VPN Server”:
- Hostname: VPNSERVER
Please replace VPNSERVER with the address provided by AIS
- Port Number: Leave as 443
- Leave all other settings besides under the “User Authentication Setting”:
- Use the same username and password as when you log on to the Server.
- Click “ok” at the bottom of that screen
- Right click on “VPN” and click “Connect.”
- Example screenshot below
Accessing your Desktop Remotely
- On your Windows computer, click the Start menu (Or Windows Search Bar on Windows 10)
- Type mstsc then enter
- In the text box labeled Computer: type your computer name (This can be provided to you by AIS or your System Administrator)
- Click the Show Options drop-down menu
- Click the Save As button
- Change the Filename to Office Remote Desktop.
- On the left hand side of the file window, find the folder labeled “Desktop” and double click it to choose the save destination. Click Save.
- A shortcut to your Remote Desktop connection will now be saved on your Desktop. You can double click it to connect.
After the above steps are performed the first time. Simply connect to the VPN, then click the Remote Desktop connection.