- 8G USB Flash Drive
- Mini USB to USB Adapter(Included with the Netgate
Download the correct pfSense image for the Netgate by going to https://www.pfsense.org/download/.
Select Netgate ADI and download the image.
Download phydiskwrite http://m0n0.ch/wall/downloads/physdiskwrite-0.5.3.zip
Format USB Drive
Plug in your USB flash drive into your computer
Open up CMD and run diskpart
Run list disk
Determine which DISK your USB drive is
Select disk # (that disk number above)
Open up CMD as administrator and browse to the phydiskwrite folder
Run the following command below. note: the pfSense version may be different, but for this example we are using this version.
a. Physdiskwrite.exe -u pfSense-CE-memstick-ADI-2.3.1 RELEASE-amd64.img.gz b. __note__: the pfSense version may be different, but for this example, we are using this version.
After selecting “Enter” select your Drive
The next screen will show the progress and eventually finish, going back to the command prompt. 1. This concludes the pfSense transfer to the USB Drive.
Next is to install pfSense on the Netgate
- Plug USB drive into the Top USB port on the Netgate
- Connect the Console cable to your USB port on your computer
- Verify the COM port number on your Computer Device Manager
- Open PuTTY and choose Serial Com# and port 115200
- Plug power cord into Netgate
- You should see the boot process in PuTTY. Let pfSense auto boot up. You should eventually get prompted to a blue screen for configuring console.
- Scroll to “Accept these Settings” and press Enter
- On the next screen, select “Custom” and press Enter.
- On the next screen, you should see the desk layout, please note which USB drive you are using.
- Select da1
- On the next screen, select Partition Disk and Press Enter
- Next will prompt to configure the Geometry. Choose “Use this Geometry” and press Enter.
- Next screen will prompt to format
- Select Format da1
Next we will partition the disk
- Enter Partition Disk
- Accept and Create
- On the next page, press “Yes” to partition da1
- You should receive success in partitioned
- Enter “OK”
- The next screen will prompt to install bootblocks
- Press Accept and “Install BootBlocks”
- Press “Enter”
- BootBlocks were Successfully Installed
- Select the primary partition and enter
- The next screen will ask if you are sure. Select “OK” and Enter
- Next Screen will state partition formatted
- Press Ok
- The next screen will request to create the SWAP partition
- Press Accept and Create pfSense should now be installing
- The next screen should prompt for Custom Kernel
- Select “Embedded Kernel” and press Enter
- It will begin installing
- Remove the USB Drive and press Enter on reboot.
- If it doesn’t reboot correctly, unplug power and plug back in.